Empire Mine with Mission Avenue
I went to the Empire Mine today with Casey's fourth grade classes. The weather was beautiful. We had a great time. We learned how hard the miners worked and how dangerous their jobs were. It is estimated that only 20% of the gold was mined--leaving 80% underground. It was just too expensive to keep the mine open.